Monday, January 30, 2012

Don't be a Useless Servant

I'll admit it, its really easy for me to slip into laziness.  The snooze button on the alarm is just so much easier to press than it is to get up and run.  I also can easily slip into that mid-day funk where some mysterious force sucks the energy out of my life.  I can't move or think, only stare into oblivion, and all I want to do is sleep.  During those times, I might need purchase something from the grocery store.  I've been known, during those sleepy times, to guide my truck into the Walmart parking lot.  Sometimes, I'll come close to parking my truck and say, "You know, I can just get this tomorrow," and go home.

Its absurd, I know.  But often, the thing that I'm looking for will determine how much effort I put into getting it.  In those "I'll get it tomorrow" times, I'm probably going there to buy something mundane...printer paper, wiper fluid, toilet paper :).   If, however, the item I need is something that I have been ordered by the boss (my wife) to get (diapers, ground beef, toilet paper), I usually put a greater effort into it.  I'll actually go in to get it.  Whether I remember to get the item, or come back with something else is another story.  Now, if it is something amazing that I need (a technology item, video game, 50 pounds of chocolate), I'll run there as fast as I can.  If I don't find it at Walmart, I don't give up, I run to Kroger.

As youth ministers, we are entrusted with a wide variety of tasks.  Some things I'm just wired to do...I like to set up techno-gadgets, set up websites, be on stage, come up with videos.  There's things that I don't quite do so well...communicating to students parents, following up on events in a students life, administrative stuff.  In those things that I'm not so good at, I can't afford to just turn around and put it off until tomorrow.  God has entrusted us with the care and direction of a group of students. He's placed volunteers (or potential volunteers) around us.

It reminds me of the story Jesus tells about a master (Mt  25 or Luke 19).  He gives 3 servants differing amounts of his money to do something with.  One dude sits on it, and comes back with the same amount...he is called wicked by the king.  Two others both double their money.  He takes the money away from the wicked servant and gives it to one of the others.  He says, "Take the money from this servant, and give it to the one with the ten bags of silver. To those who use well what they are given, even more will be given, and they will have an abundance. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away. Now throw this useless servant into outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

I pray that I remember, as a youth leader, I have been entrusted with much.  God expects me use my gifts and talents well.  Don't be a useless servant!

0 comments :

Post a Comment