Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Teachable Thoughts :: Light and Photography

Many of you know this, but among the many things that I love to do, photography is up there on that list.  I currently do some side work as a photographer.  I do portraits, sports, events, weddings...lots of things.  I'm about to do an elementary school's cap and gown pictures, and that usually creates quite a bit of interest in my photography from parents and such.  In preparing for this, I decided to really flesh my website out...adding pricing, what I actually can offer, and more content.

I started writing about why I like photography and in my bio, this began to take shape:

"I love the process of creation.  I love building things, manipulating things, and dreaming things.  The essence of photography is capturing and manipulating light.  Part of the draw of photography for me is learning how to deal with the problems that come up during this process of capturing light.  I love the process and like to stretch myself every time I go out for a session. "


It got me thinking... the only way that we can see anything is light.  You can't tell the difference between a red and green crayon in complete darkness...you couldn't even see that there WAS a crayon.  There could be the most beautiful thing in the world, but if its put in a dark room, it can't be seen.  In photography, the light has to be there to create a picture. 


Jesus repeatedly talks about the light.  In John 8:9-10, he says, "Those who walk in the day do not stumble, because they see the light of this world.  But those who walk at night stumble, because the light is not in them."  If the light is not with us, we can never see the beauty of the world and will stumble.  

0 comments :

Post a Comment