Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Things I Like :: Reading Books

I never liked reading much as a kid.  I hardly EVER read what I was supposed to for school.  I'd just skim the books or check out a summary or something.

It wasn't until I began college that I really started reading.  As a religion major, there was A LOT of reading to do...and it was the kind of reading that you can't skim.  Many times, I'd be so overwhelmed with reading over a hundred pages a night of some commentary or textbook, that I'd need a break...what did I do  in these breaks?  Read!

I know it sounds crazy, but I developed a love for fiction.  I had somewhat read the Lord of the Rings series earlier in life.  My first year at ETBU, I saw a copy of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone in a friend's bathroom.  I picked it up, and was hooked.  I'm a little embarrassed, but the last 3 years, I've read the Harry Potter series each summer, and followed it up with the LOTR series.

At the beginning of last summer, I purchased a Kindle to take with me on my trip to Greece.  That transformed the way I read books!  In January, I really began getting into some older, public domain works...which are free to download for anybody, and also free on the Kindle.  So, since January, here are the books I've read:

Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose
Hitler: Diagnosis of a Destructive Prophet - Fritz Redlich
Radical - David Platt
Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen
Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

I'm also in the middle of The Count of Monte Cristo

So, what about you?  What do you like to read?

4 comments :

  1. I try to read the HP series once a year too...lol. I'm a huge Jane Austen fan (Pride & Prejudice, Mansfield Park and Emma are some of my favorites) I love the way they spoke "back when" and how their society was. I also love reading the Brother Andrew books (God's Smuggler, God's Call, etc) they inspire me to live boldly out my faith with the real stories of his life that read like a fiction novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never head of Brother Andrew. Is he a spiritual formation type author, or a fiction author?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a spiritual formation-type (ish). Lol..I don't really know how to describe it. It's sort of an autobiography that teaches. The first book (God's Smuggler) is the telling of his salvation experience and how that lead him to smuggle Bibles behind the Iron Curtain in Russia, etc when Christian Missionaries were not allowed inside. He was "wanted" by the KGB for years...once his book was published it was required reading for them!!! I first read his book when I was taking Christian Ethics, and it made me REALLY think. Obviously, I love his books because I could go on and on. lol Please check it out, you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read. I'm working through a 900 page monster right now called "New York: The Novel." I've got about six more on my desk I want to read, but I'll be in this one til summer, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete