Friday, February 18, 2011

Guest Post :: Perspective of The Force

Watch it here
The Dark Side seems to be making a comeback. Although Darth Vader was only four feet tall his powers seemed larger than life. He silenced a dog with the wave of his hand. The doll on the bed clearly had fear in her eyes. And the Volkswagen Passat that started! Simply Amazing!

Twenty-two years of student ministry has taught me many things. But perhaps the greatest lesson I am still learning is perspective. How do I see things, or see what is behind the unfolding of events. When God seems to be actively present in each event that occurs it is easy to point to His Spirit as the moving force. But what about when there is a disturbance in that force? Or the appearance of a disturbance?

If God really does “work through all things for the good of those who love Him and are called according to his purpose,” (Romans 8:28) then why is it so difficult to align myself with what James so clearly tells us to do, “consider it pure joy my brothers and sisters when you face the appearance of a disturbance in the force?” (James 1:2, Star Wars Bible).

Perspective. When all I can see is the view from behind my own mask then it can seem as if the Dark Side is winning. C. S. Lewis once wrote, “Men are not angered by mere misfortune but by misfortune conceived as injury. And the sense of injury depends on the feelings that a legitimate claim has been denied.” When I can’t see beyond my mask, every injury is seen as a personal attack. But when I take a step back, or someone reminds me of who my real Father is and what Paul said, “What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31), then I see that it is not the Darth Vader who started the car, but his dad in the kitchen, with the key.

Perspective. Take a step back. Remember your Father.

This is not the blog you are looking for (as I wave my hand at you). It really is.

Donovan has been one of my best friends for the past 10 years.  He was my youth minister in High School, and is a computer/photography nerd.  You can check out his photography here: http://www.donovansphotography.com/.  He serves as the Minister of Students/Activities of Highland Baptist Church in Lubbock, TX.  www.hbcstudents.org

0 comments :

Post a Comment